Friday 30 July 2021



















'Copenhagen'
(taken from 'The Cynical Travellers Guide' by Titus Luxor
available at all goofy book stores)

I get things.
I mean I get things like you do.
You come here and 'get' things right?
OK, so Frau Luxor is into 'The Bridge'.
So I 'got' her the whole thing.
Haven't watched it myself but she loves it.
It's a sort-of whodunnit? TV series thing
with arty-pretentiousness thrown in for good measure
to capture the target audience of middle income,
university educated people like...er...Frau Luxor.
The plot revolves around the Øresund Bridge
which links Sweden to Denmark.
I have seen it. (the actual bridge. not the TV show...do keep up)
We went to Copenhagen to see Blue Öyster Cult.
(More on that later)
They only have one beer in Copenhagen.
It is Tuborg.
One bar had about 20 pumps...huge place...all Tuborg/only me there.
I nearly broke my neck going to the toilet.
They'd turned all the lights off to save money.
I don't like Tuborg.
Furthermore is is about £9 for a pint of this rubbish.
Tried the old 'pop down a backstreet/see where the locals drink' technique.
Got me a pint of Tuborg for £8.50.
'where the locals drink' LOL...there was nobody there.
They can't afford it.
I saw bank managers on bicycles
...and don't give me that environmentally friendly shit.
Biggest news story of the weekend was the bike sunami at the railway station.
I saw it...like a bike version of when you line dominos up to create a chain reaction.
See what I did there? Chain ...as in bicycle chain?..oh I give up.
The girl on reception at the hotel said she could barely afford to live there
and had moved out for a couple of years when she'd had a kid.
The common myth is...well they get paid loads so can afford those prices.
Not true, do you think they don't have their minimum wage/gig ecconomy like all big cities?
£7 for a paper plate of chips (french fries) which were cold.
The Blue Öyster Cult gig was at the famous Amager Bio.
Well weird.
We got there early. Was hard to tell which concrete block was the venue.
A sort of courtyard with two or three buildings any of which could be it.
Stalls serving food/people sat around.
We sat around. Tried the food (see previous comments)
Eventually I turned to a nearby dude who had long hair and asked:
a) Do you speak English, and
b) What the fuck is going on here 'cos it's turned into a 'family picnic'
and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in the right place.
Well... wouldn't you know it...(nothing goes normally for me)
He rasped, in a voice that came as if through crushed glass,
"Yes I speak Engish, I'm sorry about my voice but I have throat cancer.
I am from Sweden. Blue Öyster Cult are on later"
(he pointed to the least impressive shack-like structure)
Er...thanks man. (I'm now traumatised on his behalf)
This was a few years ago but BÖC had not played there since 1975.
The local/not so local fans were rather hungry for it.
I muscled my way down to the stage and stood right in front of where I knew Buck would be
with the Frau protected by my manly arms (OK, spindley arms) as the locals fought it out.
Two Swedish brothers, who told me they were punks, fought the whole way through.
Girlfriends were pushed onstage only to be ushered into the wings
by Kasim Sulton of all people. Kasim sings sweetly but has a mean side.
These chicks were then 'thrown out' by security
only to re-appear at the front of the stage 10 minutes later.
I was the only one there who knew all the words.
It was M-A-G-I-C
Went to a hot-dog van after the gig.
Worst/most expensive hot-dog ever!
I told him that if he sold this stuff where I came from
his van would be tipped over and burnt before midnight.
regards
Titus


10 comments:

  1. I've watched and liked The Bridge but your report doesn't make me want to go to Copenhagen. Ok, only if it was to see boc...
    We're poor people down here but have good beer!
    Hope more excerpts from 'The Cynical Travellers Guide' will come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just landed once in Copenhagen Airport in transit from Arlanda to Paris. Missed the hot-dogs. What a pity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I'd go again Derek, just wanted to share an experience, I thought we could do a TLD weekened meet up, Maybe in Copenhagen? Annual event?

      Delete
    2. As my lady Lili said, why not ?!!!!

      Delete
  3. Back in the eighties, i once heard a progress report about the street/underground situation in Copenhagen, second hand from a conference hosted by the town police and that didn´t match up well with the pictures the tourist guides wanted to give you, at least when it came to places like Westerbrogade and the like where tension was critically high between coppers and criminals at the time. By now i think we´ve surpassed them here in Sweden even in my backwoods area while they´ve managed to keep their "hygge" - let´s just say it´s depressing. And as for the beer, the old swedish brewing conglomerate Pripps´ products improved wastly as Carlsberg/DFB took charge of a company that had since long been running idle as a state-owned company passing out mostly continental lager resembling sparkling sludate water and trying hard to monopolize the industry, but luckily that failed and later on they was bypassed by fresh competition and the company was sold to Carlsberg who owns the Tuborg label and i guess took over the recipes too from the original owners when the actual Tuborg brewery was air bombed and burned down near the end of WW II (no. i don´t like the "Groen" Tuborg either but the Gold Label is rather palatable). As for the TV series "The Bridge"/"Bron" i managed to see about half an episode at the risk of falling asleep in my easy chair. But don´t blame it on the danes, i´m quite sure that most of the storyline and what-not was concieved by the swedish team as "nordic noir" in modern-day swedish terms translates to "try to pack as much social issues and relationship problems as possible into the story". Or maybe it´s just me being a generation X guy who don´t get it... Anyway, i can really recommend just any single all-danish effort when it comes to TV series, crime fiction or otherwise. One of my favourites is "Unit One"/"Reiseholdet" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220261/ that ran between 2000-2004. Mads Mikkelsen played one of the main characters but they all did a good job, the series has aged well. Swedish television started a re-run lately but i will save it for the boring winter as i´ve got the full set on DVD :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting stuff thanks Herr ögon, I've msade a note of your recommendation

      Delete
    2. You´re welcome mr Titus, it´s rather safe to say that you won´t be dissapointed. You might also want to check out Anna Pihl https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494184/ if possible. That is a series slightly in the same style as "Rejseholdet" but perhaps more catering to the female public with more of complicated relations side tracks written in (something to watch with Mrs Luxor maybe) but still a well made police series with enough suspense to keep any crime show nerd stuck to the living room couch. And of course it´s laced with that special danish laidback attitude.

      Delete
    3. I have the unit one thing now (with English subs which is not ideal but essential for me) I will try to watch some soon

      Delete
  4. Never heard of Carlsberg which most people would consider the most famous Danish beer? And what is wrong with 'enviromental shit'. Being Danish I certainly love my bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expected Carlsberg but they didn't have it. I'm not knocking protecting the environment, just in this particular case I don't think that is the full story

    ReplyDelete