Monday 20 September 2021

























'Aunties' by Titus Luxor

My aunties were all old, crazy
and had barely changed since the end of WWII.
I had a few and each one of them was worthy of a script by Alan Bennett.
They thought Eddie Fisher was risque.
Later in life, I settled down. Met a girl, we lived together.
She had a sister...let's call her Sue.
I saw Sue drunk as a skunk/fighting in pubs/etc.
No different to the rest of us I hasten to add.
However, it struck me as strange when, a few years later,
we had children and now she was "Auntie Susan".
Probably not as weird as "Titus is a Dad! LOL"
but we're not doing Dads today, it's about aunties.
In 1980 I was in a 'Rock Nightclub'
(makes it sound much more glamourous than it was I assure you)
I saw a guy in a fleecy hooded top.
Hoodies were not around much in the UK at this point.
It was American...in fact THIS hoodie was VERY American.
The Front, and I mean the whole garment, was basically
the cover of Black Sabbath's 'Heaven and Hell'.
The whole back was the front cover of BÖC's Agents of Fortune.
This was obviously from the 'Black & Blue' tour over in the states.
I muscled my way into his circle and got chatting to him.
I asked if he would considering selling the hoodie...er...to me.
He declined my offer and told me it was a gift
from his auntie who lived over in the US and had gone to one of the gigs.
Well...you could have knocked me down with a golden age of feather.
MY aunties wouldn't know a Diz-buster from a duster.
I was ripped off auntie-wise!
A school friend had an auntie who was nanny to Mick Box's kids.
Now THERE was a coincidence...one of my aunties LOOKED like Mick Box.
regards
Titus

2 comments:

  1. Never mind that, Titus. Nice story, i´ve had aunties (RIP) with broad minds and having survived hardships they never bowed down to common expectations of how an elderly lady is supposed to act like, always an inspiration to explore other perspectives on things. Now others have reached that age and their wilderness of youth has after hibernating through adulthood evolved into a healthy and laidback critical view on social conformity. Or as one of them put it, "WTF gives them the idea that i want to be a part of an `ordinary` society?!?!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, made me laugh. I was the youngest by far so my parents and their siblings were quite old as I grew up which coloured my own experience

      Delete