Sunday 10 October 2021

































Blue Öyster Cult
Grugahalle
Essen, Germany
January 28th 1984

I've been taking a look at some old recordings.
Ones that, perhaps, were not the greatest sounding but deserved a revisit.
This is one of those.
I posted a very sharp/harsh version  many moons ago.
What was I thinking? I now ask myself.
This is a newer remaster.
No doubt in ten years time I will re-listen this one and wonder what I was thinking.
Here is a ticket from the show:















Steve Switzer wrote:
I only went to one BOC gig in central Germany - I think Essen.
I was in BAOR (British Army on the Rhine)
and that's the nearest show to where I was based...
They were pushing "Shooting Shark" at the time. I enjoyed it a lot.
The most memorable thing was that Eric Bloom's guitar string broke
and somehow drew blood from his face - very eerie...

(Eric goes AWOL for the 'Marshall will buoy but Fender control' line in Cities on Flame)
I wonder if this was the broken string moment?
Eric is in fine voice throughout BTW.
Here is a poster advertising the concert:














































Joe Bouchard is man of the match
and this remaster makes no apology for highlighting his bass.
Rick Downey deserves a mention too.
Some nice drumming here.
I was at the infamous Donington show
where Rick first stepped in to fully replace Albert Bouchard.
His debut 'proper' professional gig in front of 80K people!
I've done so much work on this bootleg it made me dizzy
but I love BÖC so it's worth it.
It's still a lousy audience recording with multiple issues
but when it rocks it rocks.
"Holy Scheiße it's Godzilla!"
regards
Titus
P.S. Does anyone know what the intro music is?
I feel I should know  but can't quite place it.
Possibly Bad Channels?

Disc 1
01 intro
02 ME 262
03 E.T.I.
04 Hot Rails to Hell
05 Born to Rock
06 Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
07 Burnin' For You
08 Take Me Away
09 Joan Crawford

Disc 2
01 Shooting Shark
02 Don't Fear (The Reaper)
03 Godzilla
04 bass solo/Born to Be Wild
05 Let Go
06 Roadhouse Blues

3 comments:

  1. this sounds quite nice titus, thanks!
    i saw BOC quite a bit from 80-84, in hockey arenas theaters and and in clubs. sat first row at the capital theatre in NJ in 81 and almost got my face burnt off by the pyro that was set up a few feet away, instead got some great pics :0]
    yea i always loved joe B's playing and the tone on his music man bass. a huge part of their sound and vibe. rick downey filled in very well for albert B.
    hung out backstage with all of them in '82 and they were quite humble and accessible.
    glad they're still at it. are they in they R'n'R Hall of Fame yet?

    cheers, \mikeL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where was health and safety when you needed them? Don't think BOC are hall of fame level

      Delete
  2. true. nine inch nails they ain't
    mL

    ReplyDelete