Sunday, 9 August 2026

















































The African Queen (1951)

















Two people from completely contrasting backgrounds
are thrown together by circumstance
and against all the odds they eventually fall in love.
This premise is quite surprising when one first encounters it as a kid.
Once you have become wiser and more cynical
you can see it coming from the opening scene.
It's part of growing up, a rite of passage if you will.
Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn absolutely nail it here.
Unlike the special effects team who made very little effort for the dramatic finale.






















I 'served my time' as an engineering apprentice at British Leyland.
The place was vast beyond belief.
They never bought anything, they just made it.
I was seconded to No.8 shop in Farrington aged 17.
Day one...first brew time...
There had a brew area with a huge hot water boiler.
Made 'in house', it was an enormous dome of copper
with huge rivets straining to hold the flexing cauldron within.
On the side was written...African Queen.
I nearly scaulded myself laughing.
regards
Titus

1 comment:

  1. Saw it for the nth time the other week on Sky Arts. Absolute genius.

    ReplyDelete