Thursday 21 December 2023

































Shakin' Street
Mabuhay Gardens
San Francisco, CA
July 26th 1980

Some of this may be true:
Shakin' Street are booked to play at a low-key nightclub in Frisco.
For reasons unknown they arrive late.
The venue closes at 2am and it's already after 1am.
So no time for a soundcheck.
The first song is the soundcheck.
Our brave mixing desk knob-twiddler does his best.
By the second song we are getting somewhere.
Then we get a strange feedback problem.
It begins, I noticed, just at the point where Ross switches
from his lead setting back to his rhythm setting during 'Every Man'.
This issue continues into 'Box You'.
The next song is soundcheck version 2.
Finally it is reasonally sorted
but there is only time for three more numbers.
I don't think this is  a soundboard.
I think it is a 'mics on the stage' recording.
So 75% of what we hear is probably what the band could hear.

Most of this is true:
I saw Shakin' Street May 1980.
They were opening for Black Sabbath.
Proper soundcheck done and they were brilliant.
First time I'd seen Ross play.
Tony Iommi looked like a slug in comparison. (sorry Sabs fans)































This recording is the nearest I've heard to capturing their energy.
There is another one that I've never looked at, remastering-wise,
which AtticRock posted over on Soundabord.
You may need to ask him a re-up.
My advice: "I'd love to hear this, any chance of a re-up?"
works better than "the fucking link is dead!" :)

I can never listen to Solid as a Rock without singing along doing an air-punch.
...it's beginning to worry me.
The Frau is in Berlin acting as a triple agent for a few days.
I have to make my own coffee...what's the point?
Easier to resort to wine.
🍷
regards
Titus

01 What Kind of Love
02 No Compromise
03 Every Man, Every Woman is a Star
04 I Want to Box You
05 Blues is the Same
06 Solid as a Rock
07 Soul Dealer
08 Vampire Rock

4 comments:

  1. nice! i saw shaking street open for sabbath (who were closed by journey) at the Day On The Green in Oakland CA. (june 20 same year i believe). a big Rainbow fan dio introduced me to sabbath. shakin' street were really good...and preceeded by jo jo zep and the falcons...followed by molly hatchet and cheap trick before ronnie james sabbath. ahh my first exposure to the all-day summer rock festival!
    mikeL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been living in France for 40 years and never listened to Shakin' Street. Shame on me. But thanks to the Luxor Dream, this utmost stupidity has been repaired. Btw, I never liked the French heavy metal band Trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with Trust. Anything with Ross the Boss has always been of interest to me

      Delete