We had a total solar eclipse in our part of the US a few years ago, and two friends and I did a road trip in 1978 (I believe) to see one in North Dakota. It really is an amazing experience, and you can see why our ancestors were as awestruck as was documented.
Nice road trip memory Simon. There was one in the UK in 1999. I didn't see it because I was in bed (12 hour nightshifts !) It seems like good advice not to look directly at the eclipse but those ancestors you mentioned must have looked at it. Did they all go blind?
We had a total solar eclipse in our part of the US a few years ago, and two friends and I did a road trip in 1978 (I believe) to see one in North Dakota. It really is an amazing experience, and you can see why our ancestors were as awestruck as was documented.
ReplyDeleteNice road trip memory Simon. There was one in the UK in 1999.
DeleteI didn't see it because I was in bed (12 hour nightshifts !)
It seems like good advice not to look directly at the eclipse
but those ancestors you mentioned must have looked at it.
Did they all go blind?