Seven Up! (1964)
The Up series of documentary films follows the lives
of a selection of English children from diverse backgrounds
beginning in 1964 when they were seven years old.
Every seven years the film makers would return to update on their 'progress'.
I suppose the original concept was an attempt to observe
how the 'haves' and the 'have nots' differ in terms of advantages and opportunities.
It certainly does that but it achieved much more.
The outcomes are never guaranteed.
Is the pursuit of happiness all it's cracked up to be?
Which of them most closely matches your own background?
Who is your favourite?
I think I probably identify with Neil and Peter mostly
but I was also au fait with those "rough boys" :)
I thought some British readers might like to revisit the program
and those of you who are unfamiliar may find it interesting.
I'm not sure what other nationalities will think but I suspect it has universal appeal.
I'd be interested to hear how non Brits relate to these children.
I don't believe there's ever been anything quite like it as it's such a huge undertaking.
file under: 'compelling'.
Worth remembering: at age seven, none of them are 'guilty' of anything.
regards
Titus

No comments:
Post a Comment