Monday, 27 July 2026

































XTC
Michigan Theatre
Ann Arbor, MI
January 22nd 1980

Reposted from October 2021

XTC were possibly too clever for their own good.
This is an FM sourced recording of their set as openers for The Police.
The arrangements/interplay between the two guitars is stunning.

I've always wondered about the name of this town...so I looked it up:
Ann Arbor gets its name from the first wives of its two founders,
John Allen and Elisha Rumsey, who were both named Ann,
combined with the natural bur oak trees in the area. 
The settlement was officially registered with Wayne County (that mame rings bells)
as 'Annarbour' on May 25th 1824 (my birthday...so to speak) 
regards
Titus

01 Beatown
02 Real by Reel
03 When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty
04 Life Begins at the Hop
05 The Rhythm
06 Meccanik Dancing
07 Roads Girdle the Globe
08 Ten Feet Tall
09 Helicopter
10 This Is Pop?
11 Battery Brides
12 Instant Tunes
13 Crowded Room
14 Complicated Game
15 Making Plans For Nigel

13 comments:

  1. indeed they were titus!
    and yes, in those guitars they channeled beefheart, crimson and so much more within an ever-tastfully catchy way.
    thanks for this and enjoy the show!
    mikeL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and i'll add, this sounds amazing!
    highly recommended for even the curious.
    thanks again!
    mL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, been a long time since I listened to this and I was pleasently surprised. It is pretty good sound quality

    ReplyDelete
  4. too clever indeed titus!
    and too ahead of their time.
    considered new wave at the time
    their drums&wires > english settlement output
    would likely have been considered prog rock
    had it appeared 30-40 years later.

    mL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Mike, Dave Gregory was later a member of neo-proggers Big Big Train

      Delete
    2. i always learn something here :0]
      will have to check them out - thanks.
      i liked gregory's covers releases. didn't like the trash-talk aimed at david from andy partridge after dave's firing.
      once dave was gone XTC failed to interest me
      mL

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this Titus!
    JustDave

    ReplyDelete
  6. XTC didn't tour that much but there are a lot of quality recordings of their 1980 and 1982 tours. It is said that Andy Partridge had too much stagefright. We can only be happy to have these beautiful recordings. English Settlements LP is amongst my all time favourites.
    Thanks and greetings from Paris,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burning to CDr right now, did I mention I liked and appreciated the artwork. Very nice ! But... what is to be understood by : fresh from the zones of moisture ? Sorry, my english being far from perfect, is there a tongue-in-cheek understanding ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the opening line of the Imaginos album. BOC fans sometimes quote it as a joke after they have taken a shower :)

      Delete
    2. Thankx for the explanation. As we use to say over here : je me coucherai moins bête ce soir.

      Delete
    3. Ha Ha. It's what my kids would call a "Dad joke". Corporate CDs have smallprint and, if you ever bother to read it, you'll find they are kind of threatening you. So I've always added small print that is just a quote. Many are song lyrics. Others are by Richard Feynman, W.C. Fields, Groucho, Einstein, Christopher Hitchens, Goerge Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Keats and many more :) I suppose there is still the occasional threat LOL

      Delete