Thursday 15 August 2024

































Steeleye Span
Sigma Sound Studios
Philadelphia, PA
1973

Reposted from Novemder 2011
What casn I say?
Matmbe an uprgrande?

I was listening to a bunch of Steeleye Dan recordings.
Most of them were awful but this one is OK.
Exact date is unknown but it's Steely Span circa 1973.
First minute is a bit ropey but after that it settles down quite nicely.
'Gaudete' is an amazing vocal song
a bit like the vocal harmony part in Queen's 'The Prophet Song'
or, my favourite, the acapella section of Capability Brown's 'Circumstances'.
If you like this be sure not to comment
as I have entered a 'blog with the fewest comments' competition.
First prize is a week in Frankfurt.
Second prize is two weeks in Frankfurt.
I'm a bit bemused by the idea of Steeleye Span in the U.S.
Must be an audience of ex-pats/anglophiles surely?
regards
Titus

01 intro
02 The Ups and Downs
03 The Oak Tree/The Pigeon on the Gate
04 The Weaver and the Factory Maid
05 Spotted Cow
06 poetry
07 Saucy Sailor
08 The Bank of Ireland/Lucy Campbell/Duffy the Dancer
09 Cam Ye O'er Frae France
10 Gaudete
11 Royal Forester
12 Truck Driving Man
13 Fiddle Piece

6 comments:

  1. Hi Titus. I like to comment whenever I download something that I enjoy. Trouble is I'm not d/loading much atm. Your blog is great, I like much of what you put up, and I 'm very jealous that your saw VDGG recently. Also that Yes concert (above) is superb, even though Moraz seems to have a bit of trouble keeping up with the frantic pace of some of it.
    Enjoy Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers Bambi. Sound Chaser is really good on the Yes recording. I guess Moraz was more comfortable with the Relayer material

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you reopen the link, please big steeleye fan here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of a re-up on this

    ReplyDelete