Saturday 24 September 2022

















The cost of gigging crisis.
part two: 1978

You'll have to take my word for it, but this 'D' is in fact Hawkwind.
We see that Mr. Brock has upped his fee to £3.



















































£2.80 seems to be the standard going rate in 78.
Judas Priest and Steve Hackett being examples:








































































































Perhaps surprisingly, the mighty Meat Loaf only charged £2.50.

















































So the big man wins the Titus Luxor 'People's Champion of 1978' award.
regards
Titus

2 comments:

  1. Ha, those were the days. Before the venues 'simplified' things, by doing away with the box offices and introduced booking fees, postage and handling charges, know to me as fisting fees.
    I recall sending a postal order off to venues with the self addressed envelope, waiting a few days till tickets arrived.

    We had a local theatre that put on a lot of rock bands, the first time I went there with third row tickets, I was rather disappointed that after about 3 songs everyone stood up or ran to the front. After that experience I used to buy the cheaper tickets at the back or sides and would run to the front myself often saving £1.

    I've just found my oldest ticket stub (but not my first gig), Feb 1980, Def Leppard £1.95, support band Wychfynde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those were the days when you all piled down the front! Before the term 'mosh-pit' had even been coined. For a year or two I actually used to go to the back at metal gigs because there was more room to dance and play air-guitar. I was one of a few regulars who took that option and we all became 'noding terms' friends. Used to see the same people at record fairs...the obsessives I guess :)

      Delete