Thursday 18 January 2024

























According to both popular myth, legend
and at least two long since out-of-print local history tomes,
the Star and Garter was built in 1803
approximately 100 yards from its current position.
When Store Street/Bank Top/London Road railway station
(the original names of Manchester Piccadilly)
was expanded with the addition of the connecting line
to Oxford Road in 1849, the Star and Garter was moved,
brick by brick, onto its current site and reopened in 1877.
It has been a Grade II listed building since 1988.

I saw The Dictators play there:





















and being the Devil I am I stole the poster from outside the pub:















































regards
Titus

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see a pub from my old home town saved as way too many have been lost forever now living in Australia I dont get back home much but when I do I feel like a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes these buildings are history and wonderful architecture

      Delete