Clever Clogs
About 40 years ago I had a workmate who was really smart.
He worked on the latest tech and was clued up on computer programming etc.
Back then there was no internet access to speak of
and our work involved some maths including quadratic equations,
trigonometry and calculations involving Pi.
If I was ever unsure I could rely on my colleague to verify my workings out.
It turned out we were both keen chess players.
So we began playing at work when we had the time.
Some great games as we were equally matched.
At that time we worked a day/night shift.
There was a gap between shifts and you never actually saw the next person
so it was customary to leave a note for them.
I had seen my co-worker's notes.
He could not spell, had no concept of punctuation
and didn't know the difference between there, their and they're.
I was shocked.
One day I plucked up the courage and asked:
"How can someone as clever as you have such little grasp of written English?"
He replied:
"That's what I think about you when you can't do trigonometry"
Checkmate.
regards
Titus


No comments:
Post a Comment