The Castle Museum in York is a marvelous place to visit.
There is a reproduction of an entire Victorian street area 'Kirkgate':
If you hang around there for a while it gradually goes through a day/night cycle.
You can go inside many of the buildings and explore the dingy back alleys.
Among the museum's, wide and varied, exhibits there's a whole section devoted to WWI.
As you leave the Great War area you pass through a room
which has large blackboards covering the walls and a supply of chalk.
Visitors are invited to leave their comments.
Most are praising the presentation or expressing sorrow for the loss of life.
I've been many times over the years but one occasion in that room stands out.
A family walked in and their young son was thrilled to see the blackboards.
He ran over, grabbed a stick of chalk and in large letters wrote...LOL
It could be tempting to go into "I blame the parents" mode.
Or, like me, you could have an inner cynical devil who thinks:
'Good on yer kid. This blackboard idea is a bit cheesy'
My long term assessment? I'd prefer kids to grow up in a peaceful world.
Let them be free to not know or care.
Plenty of time for them to reflect more seriously when they get older.
Tanks are cool/LOL/Can I have an ice cream?
I think all kids should think that way. I'm sure I did.
regards
Titus





No comments:
Post a Comment